Why Claiming Accident Compensation May Be Harder If You Try to Tough It Out

Posted on: 18 October 2022

Every day across Australia, there are hundreds of car accidents and associated injuries. Often it can take quite a while for the victims to recover, which can lead to considerable physical and financial hardship along the way. If you're unfortunate to have been in such an accident and are feeling the effects, you'll want to know what you can do to help with your bills and get some compensation for your suffering. The good news is that you can claim compensation in most cases but will need to provide a strong body of evidence to support your approach. So what type of medical evidence will you need, and why should you never wait before taking action? 

Taking Prompt Action

Many people in this situation try to "tough it out" and deal with the daily pain to see if it gets better. This is not the best approach, as if they subsequently decide to claim, it may lead to protracted delays due to a lack of evidence. Instead, they should go through the process from the day the accident happened to ensure that there is a paper trail for investigators to follow.

Sometimes, people can suffer a whiplash injury in an accident, but the pain may not be evident at that moment. Adrenaline levels may be high, which can often mask pain, and they may be unaware that they have suffered the injury.

Keeping a Paper Trail

For this reason, it is a good idea to consult a doctor as soon as possible after any accident for a thorough physical and mental examination. They will be able to pinpoint any issues that may get worse as the days go by. Most notably, they will create some medical records that can provide evidence of the assessments and the treatment you receive following the accident. This will make it easy for your lawyer, the Insurance Commission, and independent insurance companies to process any claim.

Every time you consult with a medical professional, keep a note of the details yourself. The professional will also amend your medical records, which will be the official story of what has happened.

Submitting a Notice of Intent 

If someone else was to blame for the accident, you'll be able to submit a notice of intent to claim with the relevant body representing the driver who was at fault. You will then give them your consent to access your medical records as they continue their investigation.

Working With a Lawyer

This can be a daunting proposition for many people, especially if they have never experienced this type of incident before. In this situation, it's best to consult an experienced lawyer to ensure the process is handled correctly.

Contact a personal injury lawyer to learn more.